• The seventh-grade team lost to Banks Trail 40-6 on Sept. 26. Scoring for OMS was Jackson Watkins on a 75-yard pass from Michael Angelou. Michael and Jackson had another 50-yeard completion to the 5-yard, but the Golden Eagles were unable to convert a TD.
• The Oakridge eighth-grade football team played their best game of the season on Sept. 26, defeating Banks Trail 28-13. Offensively, the Golden Eagles were able to control the clock and moved the ball with ease thanks to the offensive line. Wally Wilmore ran for 162 yards and passed for 41 yards. He scored 4 touchdowns and punched in 2 two-point conversions. Tanner Tolson ran for 29 yards, Lakerri Adams rushed for 11 yards, and JD Davidson tallied 9 yards on the ground. Leading the team in receiving was Wyatt Emery with 24 yards. Defensively, the Golden Eagles did a great job as well. The defensive line put a lot of pressure on the quarterback, and once Banks Trail threw the ball, the linebackers and defensive backs were able to make a lot of plays on the football. Wally Wilmore, Ryan Kaoud and Josh Chappell each recorded an interception in the game. Oakridge had 12 players with at least one tackle in the game. Tanner Tolson led the team with 5 tackles, and JD Davidson and Clint Jenkins had 4 tackles each. Hayden Milley had 2 tackles and blocked an extra point.
On Sept. 26, the seventh-grade Golden Eagles volleyball team triumphed over Springfield Middle, winning 2-0. Amber Lipscomb stepped up to the plate and delivered a number of great serves. Bonnie Lee and Anna Transou led the way with their excellent pass control as the team showed their first rate, high quality volleyball skills.
• On Sept. 26, the OMS Lady Golden Eagles eighth-grade volleyball team lost 11-25 and 20-25 to a good Springfield Mustang team. OMS was led by the serving of Melia Venezia and the consistent play of Kate Spiro, with Hannah Morrison and Janelle Taliaferro providing a spark from the bench.
On Oct. 2, the OMS Lady Golden Eagles eighth-grade volleyball team lost a hard-fought match to Banks Trail 2 sets to 1, 26-24, 15-25, 13-15. OMS was led by Lilly Wallace and Melia Venezia with seven aces apiece and Emily Oliver chipped in with four aces. Kate Spiro and Emily Puryear paced the Lady Eagles with timely hitting and controlling the net. Wallace also recorded 8 kills in the match. The effort is there from OMS and the wins will come.
• On Oct. 4, the OMS Lady Golden Eagles eighth-grade volleyball team lost to Fort Mill in two sets 21-25 and 19-25. OMS started both sets strong and held off several Yellow Jacket rallies before Fort Mill took over both matches. Kate Spiro and Lilly Wallace played great at the net while Emily Oliver and Taylor Morneault controlled the middle with wonderful passing.
• In their best fight of the season, Oakridge seventh-grade volleyball were defeated 2 to 1 by Fort Mill Middle on Oct. 4. Battling hard and making many kills were Brooklyn Thomas and Anna Transou. Heidi Sanders, Grace Fowler and Lena Herold all came through with amazing passes. Setter, Madison Lybrand, held the team together with multiple assists to the attackers. Despite the disappointing loss, these girls pulled together and turned out their best performance to date.
OMS sports schedule posted with times at 5 p.m. unless otherwise noted:
• Oct. 10, Gold Hill, home
• Oct. 17, Clover, away (stadium)
• Oct. 24, conference tournament, home
Head coach: Charles Greene
Assistant coach: Ricky Blackman
Assistant coach: Jeff Rolf
Cheerleading coach: Robin Deyton and Jessica Kimbro
• Oct. 10, Gold Hill, away
• Oct. 17, Clover, home (stadium)
• Oct. 24, conference tournament, away
Head coach: Dan Kozlowski
Assistant coach: Mark Gebhardt
Assistant coach: Craig Elliott
Cheerleading coach: Robin Deyton/Jessica Kimbro
• Oct. 9, Clover, away
Oct. 11, Gold Hill, home
• Oct. 15, seventh-grade conference, location and time TBA
• Oct.16, eighth-grade conference, location and time TBA,
Oct. 17, eighth-grade conference, Fort Mill, time TBA
Eighth-grade coach: Mike Pearson
Seventh-grade coach: Missy Tiernan