• The Oakridge Middle School eighth-grade football team beat Gold Hill 38-6 on Oct. 10. At halftime, Oakridge was leading 30 to 0. The Golden Eagles played a great team game scoring five touchdowns on the evening from five players: Wally Wilmore, JD Davidson and Omari Adams each scored on offense, while Tanner Tolson and Ryan Kaoud each had interceptions that were returned for scores. Wally Wilmore, Lakerri Adams, Tanner Tolson and Omari Adams each added a 2-point conversion on the night. In all, six Oakridge players were able to find their way into the end zone. Defensively, the Golden Eagles shut down the Bulldogs all game, only allowing a touchdown on the final play of the game. Sixteen players recorded at least one tackle. Leading the team defensively was Lakerri Adams, Luke Trowbridge and Witt Currie with four tackles a piece, and William Emery added three tackles. Ryan Kaoud had two interceptions on the night, and Tanner Tolson added an interception of his own. Not only did the Golden Eagles win their school record and fourth straight game, but they secured at least a three-way tie for first place in the division. If they beat Clover on Wednesday, the team will win the division.
• On Oct. 1-, the OMS seventh grade football team fell to Gold Hill by a score of 14-6. The Golden Eagles played their best game of the season, but came up short in the end. Playing well for OMS on offense were Will Griffith, Michael Angelou, Kendall Strout and Jackson Watkins, who scored for the Golden Eagles. Defensively, OMS was led by Roderick Johnson and David Saleeba, who had an interception.
• On Oct. 11, Oakridge Middle School Lady Golden Eagles eighth-grade girls volleyball team closed out the regular season with a home victory over Gold Hill winning in two sets 25-17 and 25-13. OMS ends the regular season winning six out of their last seven matches. Pacing the way for the Golden Eagles were Emily Oliver and Lilly Wallace with excellent serving and consistent passing throughout the match. Taylor Morneault controlled the backline with her excellent play at libero. Chloe Crank played excellent on the front and back and closed out the second match by scoring five straight aces. Kate Spiro displayed exceptional play at the net and had tremendous setting in both matches.
• OMS eighth-grade girls volleyball team defeated Clover on Oct. 9 in three sets 25-21, 17-25 and 15-12. It was the Lady Golden Eagle’s fifth win of the season and fifth win on the road. OMS was led by the outstanding play of Taylor Morneault at the libero position and the consistent net play from Lilly Wallace and Kate Spiro. Emily Oliver and Rylie Warren chipped in with passing and great net play.
On Oct. 9, the Oakridge seventh-grade volleyball team fell to Clover Middle. Heidi Sanders stepped up and made a few good passes. Madison Lybrand played strong at the setter position making several good digs. Brooklyn Thomas added in a few kills.
• On Oct. 6, the OMS Lady Golden Eagles eighth-grade volleyball team won the silver division of the Bearcat Invitational tournament by defeating Springfield in the championship game 25-23 and 25-19. Overall for the tournament, OMS went 3-1-2, defeating Castle Heights, Gold Hill and Springfield, while their only loss came to Fort Mill. OMS bounced back after the Fort Mill loss to close out the tournament 2-0-1, tying only Saluda Trail. Overall for the tournament, Lilly Wallace recorded 37 aces along with 14 kills in the six games to earn a place on the all tournament team. Melia Venezia chipped in with 16 aces and 9 kills. Kate Spiro, D Hannah Morrison, Daniela Ariza and Emily Oliver displayed consistent play with precise passing and setting throughout. Janelle Taliaferro and Taylor Morneault came off the bench to provide sparks throughout the tournament.
• On Oct. 6, the OMS seventh-grade volleyball team participated in the Bearcat Invitational. The girls toughed it out through a long, hard day of volleyball. Despite an injury to the starting setter, Madison Lybrand, the team pulled together and battled to victory three times that day. With assistance by Anna Transou, Erika Copeland and Sydney Beatham, the girls finished first in the silver bracket. Excellent volleyball was played by every player.
Oct. 17, Clover, away (stadium)
• Oct. 24, conference tournament, home
• Oct. 17, Clover, home (stadium)
• Oct. 24, conference tournament, away
• Oct.16, eighth-grade conference, location and time TBA,
• Oct. 17, eighth-grade conference, Fort Mill, time TBA