Mick Mulvaney has been in political office for six years. He’s a “what can you do for me” politician, not a “what can I do for my constituents” politician. Let us look at his voting record:
• He voted against raising the national debt ceiling with fellow Tea Party representatives in 2011, thinking America defaulting on its debt would solve our problems, but in actuality it would shut down the government. That vote also resulted in the downgrade of the U.S. credit rating.
He voted against a constitutional amendment to overturn “Citizens United,” giving corporations and Superpac’s unlimited money to sway people’s votes in elections – in short, buying people’s votes.
• He voted to delay environmental and public health protections (H.R. 4480), jeopardizing the safety of our air due to pollution.
• He voted for H.R. 3078 and 3079, the Columbia and Panama Free Trade Agreements, essentially sending American jobs overseas.
• He voted for the Fiscal year 2013 Budget Resolution (H.CON.RES 112), for major cuts to non-defense discretionary and mandatory spending over the next 10 years. The effect of this would restructure Medicare and convert Medicaid and the food stamp program into block grants to states.
• He voted for the Budget Sequestration Replacement Passage (H.R.5652), effectively making all other state and federal programs survive on less, but giving the military more, when already most other programs have been hit with bigger budget cuts. The military should use their appropriations more efficiently to fund more programs and care for returning injured veterans.
Did he support any bills to help the struggling people in S.C.?
Do you see any bills that helped the people of the 5th District? I don’t.
It’s time for change.
MICHAEL JEDSON, Indian Land