CLOVER The following local groups are making an effort to help the needy this month through the Clover Area Assistance Center:
• Boy Scout Troops from Clover and Lake Wylie will be Scouting for Food on November 10. Leave a bag of canned or dry goods on or near your front porch. Scouts will be picking up bags throughout the day and delivering them directly to CAAC.
Eng School of Self-Defense in Clover will be holding a Kick-A-Thon at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 20. The theme is “Kick Hunger Out of Clover”. Self-defense students from ages 4 through teens will be participating. For more information on how to pledge, contact Brian Boling at the Eng School, 503 North Main St., Clover.
• CAAC will continue collection of food for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals through Dec. 13. Items include turkeys, hams, stuffing, gravy mix, jello, pie crust, and canned yams, potatoes, cranberries, pie filling, and fruit. Disposable roasting pans are also requested. Items can be dropped off at CAAC, 1130 Hwy. 55 East, Clover, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday and Wednesday and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday. Christmas meal items will be handed out the week of Dec. 10. For a detailed list of needs, visit www.cloverareaassistance.org.
Libraries to begin Food
LAKE WYLIE The annual Food for Fines program will begin on Nov. 26 and run through Dec. 31 at the Lake Wylie Public Library and all other York County libraries. The program is designed to encourage the return of overdue library materials while giving back to the community at the same time.
This charitable program will allow library users to pay off fines for overdue materials with nonperishable food and personal hygiene items. For each donated food item, $1 will be credited to outstanding fines only and will not cover the cost of lost or damaged materials.
All types of nonperishable food items, toiletries and disposable diapers will be collected. Items collected will be donated to York County area food banks in the community in which they are given to help replenish supplies depleted by the high demand of the holidays.
For more information on York County Library services, visit www.yclibrary.org.
Libraries to close for staff training
ROCK HILL All York County Libraries will be closed on Monday, Nov. 12, for staff training. Normal operating hours will resume at all locations on Tuesday.
For information on library programs and services, visit www.yclibrary.org.
Community Blood Center plans local drives
YORK COUNTY Community Blood Center of the Carolinas has planned the following blood drives this month in York County:
• Mount Holly United Methodist Church, 1996 Mt. Holly Road, Rock Hill, 5 to 7:30 p.m. Nov. 7.
• Clinton Junior College, 1029 Crawford Road, Rock Hill, noon to 3 p.m. Nov. 7. A free t-shirt will be given to all donors.
St John Missionary Baptist Church, 3726 Woodlawn St., Sharon, noon to 3 p.m. Nov. 10.
• Winthrop University, 701 Oakland Ave, Rock Hill, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 10. A free t shirt will be given to all donors.
• Earth Fare, 725 Cherry Road, Rock Hill, 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 17. Free giveaways from Earth Fare will be given to all donors.
• Regal Manchester Stadium, 1935 Cinema Drive, Rock Hill, 4 to 8 p.m. Nov. 24. A fee movie ticket will be given to each donor.
• Wal-Mart, 970 E. Liberty St., York, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Nov. 24.
• Oakdale Presbyterian Church, 12585 Highway 55, Clover, 4 to 7 p.m. Nov. 26.
• Fort Mill YMCA, 857 Promenade Walk, Fort Mill, 4 to 7 p.m. Nov. 26.
The Community Blood Center of the Carolinas is kicking off the 2012 holiday season with its annual Puppies for Patients program. Donors who give blood in November and December will be able to sign a tag that will then be attached to a stuffed puppy and delivered to children in area hospitals.
Toys for Happiness sets application dates
YORK COUNTY Application dates have been announced for WRHI’s Toys for Happiness Christmas assistance program. They are:
• Family Resource Center, ParentSmart, 410 Black St., Rock Hill, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 9 and 16.
• Family Resource Center, Parenting Partnerships, 37 Pinckney St. York, 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 9, 15 and 16.
• United Way of York County at the YMCA, 402 Charlotte Ave., Rock Hill, 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 17.
For more information please call 803-324-2735 or visit www.unitedwayofyc.org.
Breast Cancer group to meet
LAKE WYLIE Lake Wylie Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 7 p.m. Nov. 12 at Lake Wylie Chamber of Commerce’s board room.
The guest speaker will be Jan Luther.