The Oakridge Middle School softball team clinched undefeated Eastern Division Championships after dominating Gold Hill on April 22, 22-0. Kayla Ogle was once again unhittable on the mound, throwing a no hitter while striking out 11 Gold Hill batters. Ogle reached a milestone of 100 strikeouts on the season so far. Leading the way on offense for the Lady Eagles were: Taylor Morneault - 2 for 2, tripled, 2 runs, 3 RBIs; Madi MacNeil - 2 for 3, 2 runs, 3 RBIs; Melia Venezia - 2 or 3, 2 doubles, 4 runs, 2 RBIs; Anna Transou - Doubled, 2 RBI; and Jackie Van Slambrook - singled, 1 RBI.
The team refused to relinquish the lead April 24 after grabbing it early against York, recording a 10-2 victory, and finishing off an undefeated 17-0 conference championship season. The Lady Eagles had eight runs in the first three innings. Kayla Ogle pitched OMS to victory striking out eight Lady Cougar hitters, while only giving up one earned run on four hits in the ball game. Pacing Oakridge on offense were: Brooklyn Thomas, doubled, 1 run, 3 RBIs; Melia Venezia, 2 for 4, 2 runs, 2 RBIs; Michelle Aragon, 3 for 4, 2 runs, 1 RBI; and Madi MacNeil, 2 for 4, 1 run, 1 RBI.
On the season they were crowned 2013 NHS Tournament Champions, Back-To-Back East Division Champions and 2013 Conference Champions.
Team players are Melia Venezia, Kayla Ogle, Lilly Wallace, Casey Eagan, Brooklyn Thomas, Madi McNeil, Michelle Aragon, Taylor Morneault, Danielle Bonner, Sydney Beatham, Anna Transou and Jackie Van Slambrook.
Head coach is Don Pitts; assistant coach, Jeff Rolf; and managers, Sarah Kamps and Annie Erven.
• On April 23, the OMS boys soccer team won their ninth game of the season, defeating Banks Trail 4-1. Goals were scored by Ashanti Long (2), Brandon Laforge and Buddy Curtin. Zach Pierce, Brandon Laforge and Parker Largen got assists. Buddy Curtin scored unassisted.
• The OMS Lady Golden Eagles soccer team got back on track April 23 by defeating second place Banks Trail 2-0. OMS dominated the play for most of the match controlling the ball on the offensive and defensive sides. The scoring was started by Kaidyn Nadolny with 10 minutes into the game. Nadolny scored on a goal assisted by Sarah Avery Archer and Haley Stewart. The other score came 2 minutes into the second half on a put-back goal by Amber Looysen, her first goal of the season. Defensively, OMS was led by the outstanding back-line play of Archer, Leah Endean, Elizabeth East and Krystal Neilson. Erika Drutis secured the shutout and the win in goal. The key play of the game happened in the first half, with OMS holding a 1-0 lead. A direct kick by Banks Trail found its way to the top of the goal, only to be denied by Drutis on the tip and an outstanding kick save from Archer as she was diving sideways to secure the ball. The Lady Golden Eagles are now 4-2-5.
On April 22, OMS boys track team lost to Banks Trail 51-45. Scoring for the Golden Eagles were:
• First place: Ben Clark, 1600m; AJ Fulmore, 400m; AJ Fulmore, 800m; Austin Malcolm, shot put; 4X400 Relay - Blake Watson, Jackson Wood, Andrew George, AJ Fulmore.
• Second place: Wyatt Emory, discus; Ben Clark, 800m; Elijah Robinson, long jump; Phillip Rector, shot put.
• Third place: Cameron Marvin, 1600m; Julian Williams, 100m; Austin Malcolm, discus; Landon Albrick, 400m; Cameron Marvin, 800m; Wyatt Emory, high jump; Julian Williams, 200m; Clay Rollins, long jump.
The OMS girls track team was defeated April 22 by Banks Trail, 58-38. Scoring for OMS were:
• First place: Joelle Keffer, discus and shot put; Grace Huston, Spring Medley - A'shanti Carothers, Chloe Crank, Jennifer Ramsey.
• Second place: Jesse Defalco, 1600m; Chloe Crank, 100m; Nautica Hughes, discus and shot put; Kendra Hickman, 400m; Jesse Defalco, 800m.
• Third place: Cassie Williams, high jump; A'shanti Carothers, 100m; Sam Turner, 800m; Amber Skeens, discus; Chloe Crank, 200m.