The Oakridge Middle School softball team clinched Eastern Division Championships after dominating Gold Hill on April 22, 22-0. Kayla Ogle threw a no-hitter while striking out 11 Gold Hill batters, reaching 100 strikeouts. Leading the way on offense for the Lady Eagles were: Taylor Morneault - 2 for 2, tripled, 2 runs, 3 RBIs; Madi MacNeil - 2 for 3, 2 runs, 3 RBIs; Melia Venezia - 2 or 3, 2 doubles, 4 runs, 2 RBIs; Anna Transou - Doubled, 2 RBI; and Jackie Van Slambrook - singled, 1 RBI.
The team refused to relinquish the lead April 24 after grabbing it early against York, recording a 10-2 victory, and finishing off an undefeated 17-0 conference championship season. The Lady Eagles had eight runs in the first three innings. Kayla Ogle struck out eight Lady Cougar hitters, while only giving up one earned run on four hits. Pacing Oakridge on offense were: Brooklyn Thomas, doubled, 1 run, 3 RBIs; Melia Venezia, 2 for 4, 2 runs, 2 RBIs; Michelle Aragon, 3 for 4, 2 runs, 1 RBI; and Madi MacNeil, 2 for 4, 1 run, 1 RBI.
On the season they were crowned 2013 NHS Tournament Champions, Back-To-Back East Division Champions and 2013 Conference Champions. Team players are Melia Venezia, Kayla Ogle, Lilly Wallace, Casey Eagan, Brooklyn Thomas, Madi MacNeil, Michelle Aragon, Taylor Morneault, Danielle Bonner, Sydney Beatham, Anna Transou and Jackie Van Slambrook.
• On April 23, the OMS boys soccer team won their ninth game of the season, defeating Banks Trail 4-1. Goals were scored by Ashanti Long (2), Brandon Laforge and Buddy Curtin. Zach Pierce, Brandon Laforge and Parker Largen got assists. Buddy Curtin scored unassisted.
• On April 25, OMS boys finished the regular season undefeated at home and grabbed their first regular season conference championship by defeating their cross-town rivals Clover, 7-0. Brandon Laforge scored 2, along with Ethan Pierce, who found the back of the net twice. Buddy Curtin, Gavin Shepard and Hunter Walden scored each to take the total to 7. Parker Largen accounted for three of the assists while Ben Vogt, Garrett Neuffer, JD Davidson and Joe Glover each got one.
• The OMS Lady Golden Eagles soccer team got back on track April 23 by defeating second place Banks Trail 2-0. The scoring was started by Kaidyn Nadolny with 10 minutes into the game. Nadolny scored on a goal assisted by Sarah Avery Archer and Haley Stewart. The other score came 2 minutes into the second half on a put-back goal by Amber Looysen, her first goal of the season. Defensively, OMS was led by the outstanding back-line play of Archer, Leah Endean, Elizabeth East and Krystal Neilson. Erika Drutis secured the shutout and the win in goal. The key play of the game happened in the first half, with OMS holding a 1-0 lead. A direct kick by Banks Trail found its way to the top of the goal, only to be denied by Drutis on the tip and an outstanding kick save from Archer. The Lady Golden Eagles are now 4-2-5.
• On Apri25, the Lady Golden Eagles wrapped up the regular season moving up to third, defeating Clover 2-1. The scoring was started by Amber Looysen on an assist by Kaidyn Nadolny. Clover responded scoring off a corner with 5 minutes to go in the first half for 1-1. OMS defense responded, led by Elizabeth East and Krystal Neilson, not allowing any shot attempts in the second half. Leah Endean broke the tie in the last 4 minutes, assisted by Kaidyn Nadolny to secure the win. With the victory, OMS moves to 5-2-5.
On April 22, OMS boys track team lost to Banks Trail 51-45. Scoring for the Golden Eagles were:
• First place: Ben Clark, 1600m; AJ Fulmore, 400m; AJ Fulmore, 800m; Austin Malcolm, shot put; 4X400 Relay - Blake Watson, Jackson Wood, Andrew George, AJ Fulmore.
• Second place: Wyatt Emory, discus; Ben Clark, 800m; Elijah Robinson, long jump; Phillip Rector, shot put.
• Third place: Cameron Marvin, 1600m; Julian Williams, 100m; Austin Malcolm, discus; Landon Albrick, 400m; Cameron Marvin, 800m; Wyatt Emory, high jump; Julian Williams, 200m; Clay Rollins, long jump.
The OMS girls track team was defeated April 22 by Banks Trail, 58-38. Scoring for OMS were:
• First place: Joelle Keffer, discus and shot put; Grace Huston, Spring Medley - A’shanti Carothers, Chloe Crank, Jennifer Ramsey.
• Second place: Jesse Defalco, 1600m; Chloe Crank, 100m; Nautica Hughes, discus and shot put; Kendra Hickman, 400m; Jesse Defalco, 800m.
• Third place: Cassie Williams, high jump; A’shanti Carothers, 100m; Sam Turner, 800m; Amber Skeens, discus; Chloe Crank, 200m.
OMS boys track finished second in the eastern conference meet April 25. Banks Trail, with 76 points won, followed by Oakridge with 68, Fort Mill with 50, Gold Hill with 26, Springfield with 16 and Clover with 13. Scoring for Golden Eagles were:
• First place: Austin Malcolm, discus; AJ Fulmore, 800m; 4X400 Relay - Blake Watson, Jackson Wood, Andrew George, AJ Fulmore.
• Second place: Ben Clark, 1600m; AJ Fulmore, 400m; Wyatt Emory, discus; Austin Malcolm, shot put.
• Third place: Mac McGarity, discus; Ben Clark, 800m; Phillip Rector, shot put.
• Fourth place: 4X100 Relay - Omari Adams, James Westergard, Charlie Hoffman, Julian Williams; Medley Relay - Omari Adams, Elijah Robinson, James Westergard, Charlie Hoffman; Mac McGarity, shot put.
• Fifth place: Cameron Marvin, 1600m; Julian Williams, 200m.
The Lady Golden Eagles track team represented Oakridge at the divisional meet April 25, placing fourth. The team set eight personal records, and Jesse Defalco set a school record in 1600m in 6:17. Scoring for OMS were:
• First place: Joelle Keffer, shot put.
• Second place: Nautica Hughes, discus.
• Third place: Jesse Defalco, 1600m; Nautica Hughes, shot put; Sprint Medley - Ashanti Carothers, Grace Huston, Chloe Crank, Haniyah Watson; Joelle Keffer, discus.
• Fourth place: 4X100 Relay - Chloe Crank, Grace Huston, Kendra Hickman, Ashanti Carothers; 4X400 Relay - Ashley Atkinson, Jennifer Ramsey, Haniyah Watson, Daniela Ariza.