The dark clouds kept the fishermen away, said Erwin Gaston, but the night turned out to be pleasant.
The co-organizer of the Thursday Night Tournament Trail on Lake Wylie said because of all the rain, the lake was full during the July 11 event.
“The high water must have given the fish more places to hide, but Mark Humphries and Mike Carson were able to figure them out,” Gaston said.
The team brought in the winning weight of 14.08 pounds. The team of Hunter Hicks and Mike Stephens were a close second with 13.97 pound, including the big fish of the night at 5.15 pounds. The field was 29 boats.
The trail continues Thursdays at Buster Boyd Access Area with sign up starting at 5:15 p.m. and blast off at 6:30 p.m. For more information and tournament results, visit lwtt.org.
Trail sponsors are Greene’s Boat and Motor, Academy Sports, Kangaroo Express, The Great Outdoors, A-1 Adams Bonds Agency, Koyote Tackle, True South Custom Lures, and Lake Wylie Bait and Tackle.
TNTT results: July 11
1. Mark Humphries/Mike Carson, 14.08
2. Hunter Hicks/Mike Stephens, 13.97
3. Jared Kimak, 13.77
4. David Winters/Russ Winters, 12.59
5. Matt Queen/Adam Filmore, 12.02
6. George Bauchen/Ed Parker, 11.35
7. Brian Holder/Daniel Whitesides, 11.14
8. Rick Carson/James Clemmons, 10.96
9. Mike Stone/Derek Lilly. 10.38
10. Todd Garner/Shane Hartman, 10.36
11. Turkey Craig/Tim Parker, 9.77
12. Jay Adams/Jay Adams Jr., 8.18
13. Casey West, 8.06
14. Todd Sosebee/Isaac Sosebee, 6.91
15. Randall Sessmos/Tiffany Sessmos, 5.50
16. Cole Blythe/John Auten, 5.11
17. Patrick McSwain/Derek Abernathy, 4.24
Big Fish: Hunter Hicks/Mike Stevens, 5.15