Anne Springs Close Greenway in Fort Mill will host Fiddle n Pig Shindig, a bluegrass festival and barbecue competition, Sept. 20-21.
Registration deadline for barbecue teams is Monday, Sept. 16. The competition is sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbecue Society, and prizes range from $75 to $1,500.
Teams will be provided 10 8-pound Boston butts and/or 10 racks of spare ribs. Entry fee costs $150 for the Boston butt competition and $125 for the spare ribs showdown. The chicken wings contest is $15, and teams must provide their own wings.
For information, rules or registration, visit ascgreenway.org.
More area events
• Clover Police Department is hosting Sept. 11 A Day of Service and Remembrance Memorial Service, 7 p.m. Wednesday at Clover High School Auditorium.
Speakers include S.C. Adjutant Gen. Retired Stan Spears, Command Sgt. Maj. Joe Medlin, York County Sheriff Bruce Bryant and Chester County Sheriff Alex Underwood. Military and emergency vehicles will be on display in the parking lot at 6 p.m.
• The York Fire Department will host a pancake breakfast in memory of 9/11 on Saturday, Sept. 14, from 8 to 10 a.m. Pancakes, sides, juice and coffee, $5 per plate. The breakfast will be at the Fire Department, 14 N. Roosevelt St. For more information, call 803-684-1700.
• AARP Drivers Safety Program will be offered for ages 26 and older 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sept. 12 at Unity Presbyterian Church, 303 Tom Hall St., Fort Mill. Registration is required by calling Debbie at 803-547-5543 or Donald Hunt at 803-329-4405.
• Learn to Draw with Bradley Sabelli will be offered 10 a.m.-noon Thursdays Sept. 12-Oct. 17 at Fewell Park Recreation Center, 1204 Alexander Road, Rock Hill. Cost is $54. Pre-registration is required.
To register, visit the center 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays.
• The Emmett Scott High School class of 1967 will meet for its monthly birthday fellowship dinner 5:30 p.m. Monday at Ruby Tuesdays.
• The Rock Hill High class of 1959 will have its monthly meeting 1 p.m. Tuesday at the Golden Corral. All classmates, spouses and friends are welcome.
• The former employees of US Plywood, Champion, and Georgia Pacific at the Catawba Plant will meet for lunch at 1 p.m. Sept. 12 at the Golden Corral in Rock Hill. Spouses and friends are welcome.
• The annual Hudson Reunion will be 1 p.m. Sunday at the Armenia United Methodist Church fellowship hall, Lowrys. Bring a well-filled picnic basket and tea.
• The descendants of John Dunlap and Mary Elizabeth Jones Dunlap will have their annual reunion 1 p.m. Sunday at Antioch United Methodist Church, 1671 West S.C. 324. Please bring a covered dish.
• The NAMI Connection family member support group meets 6 p.m. Sept. 10 at the Hut at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, Rock Hill. Sandra Bush with Catawba Community Mental Health will talk about Medicare/Medicaid benefits.
For information, call 803-610-8174 or go to nami.org/sites/NAMIPiedmontTri-County
• Safe Passage in Rock Hill will host a weekly sexual assault survivors support group from 6 to 7 p.m. Tuesdays at 104 Oakland Ave., next to the Varsity restaurant. Participants in the support group meeting must be 18 or older. For information, call Safe Passage at 803-329-3336.
• Alateen meets 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information, call Lisa at 803-547-2124 or Sandy at 704-904-7834.
• Rock Hill Gamblers Anonymous meets 7:15 p.m. Thursdays at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 1830 Celanese Road.
• The Surgical Weight Loss Program support group meets at 6 p.m. on the first Tuesday of each month in the Womens Center auditorium at Piedmont Medical Center.
The group is for those interested in or recovering from surgery.
• The Rock Hill Spinal Cord Injury Support Group meets 6-7:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at Piedmont Medical Center in The Womens Tower Auditorium. A meal will be served. For information, call Terry Shortt at 803-524-3465