• The seventh-grade Oakridge Middle School volleyball team won in two sets Oct. 10 against Banks Trail with scores of 25-14 and 25-21. The whole team contributed. They consistently made serves, dug the ball and attacked at the net. Tiffany Domingue, Adrienne Ehrnschwender and Jamie Allen had excellent serves and attacks.
• The eighth-grade volleyball team lost to undefeated Banks Trail after playing two sets, 19-25 and 22-25. The girls fought hard. Overall, the girls showed significant improvement. Madison Lybrand and Amber Lipscomb did a great job setting up Bonnie Lee, Savannah Bryant, Brooklyn Thomas and Anna Transou at the net. Lena Herold and Sydney Beatham played the back.
• The eighth-grade Oakridge Middle School football team got their second win of the season Oct. 9, defeating Fort Mill 12-0. Oakridge scored their first touchdown in the second quarter when Mikey Angelou got in the end zone on a two-yard QB sneak.
Heading into halftime, the Golden Eagles led 6-0. Defensively, the golden Eagles played tougher than they have all season. Oakridge stopped the Yellow Jackets and forced them into many turnovers on downs. In the first half, Ethan Armstrong helped force a fumble and came up with the recovery.
In the Golden Eagles’ first possession in the third quarter, L andon Albrick took the pitch and cut back across the middle and took it 75 yards into the end zone, but the play was called back due to a holding penalty. The Golden Eagles were not able to capitalize, and Fort Mill stopped OMS on fourth down.
On the ensuing possession, Fort Mill completed a short pass, and their receiver was able to break a couple tackles and, 50 yards later, was all but in the end zone when Will Griffith tracked him down at the three-yard line. The Yellow Jackets, trailing by six points, had four chances to score, but the Golden Eagle defense stuffed Fort Mill’s efforts on their first three chances. On fourth down, Ethan Armstrong forced a fumble in the backfield, and Connor Owens came up with the ball.
In the fourth quarter, Landon Albrick got in the end zone again, this time without any flags, on a 22 yard run which essentially put the game out of reach.
Alex Raine saw his first action on the defensive side and played well recording numerous tackles and also had a batted down pass. Roderick Johnson had a QB sack for a 15-yard loss. The entire defense as a whole played well. Offensively, Austin Gunnels, Bent Prikker and Landon Albrick ran the ball well for the Golden Eagles.
• The OMS seventh-grade football team played its best game of the season Oct. 9, but came up short against Fort Mill, losing 20-8. OMS scored first on a 47-yard run by Chance Woodworth with Chance getting the 2-point PAT. The Golden Eagles ran the ball well, but could not put up another score.
The defense came up strong to stop Fort Mill on their PAT to hold the lead 8-6. Fort Mill scored to go up 14-8 with under twi minutes to go. As OMS opened up the passing game Fort Mill returned an interception for another score with less than 30 seconds left.
Oakridge Middle School posts the fall sports schedule with games starting at 5 p.m. unless otherwise noted:
• Oct. 16, Gold Hill, away
• Oct. 23, Clover, home (stadium)
• Oct. 30, Conference Tournament, away
Head coach: Dan Kozlowski.
Assistant coaches: Craig Elliott, Daniel Beels.
• Oct. 16, Gold Hill, home
• Oct. 23, Clover, away
• Oct. 30, Conference Tournament, home
Head coach: Charles Greene.
Assistant coaches: Ricky Blackman, Jeff Rolf.
• Oct. 15, Springfield, away
• Oct. 17, Gold Hill, home
• Oct. 21, seventh-grade Conference
• Oct. 22, eighth-grade Conference
• Oct. 24, eighth-grade Conference, Dutchman Creek
Eighth-grade coach: Emily Talarico
Seventh-grade coach: Missy Tiernan