McCONNELLS — The old two-story brick house in Historic Brattonsville is getting its reproduction 1840s-era roof installed this week.
The Brick House is located across from the Brattonsville Visitors Center and is one of three original Bratton family homes located at the main site of Brattonsville.
The other original family home, Hightower Hall, is a mile north of the main site.
The Greek Revival-influenced building is the last of the Bratton homes to undergo restoration; for the past 100 years, the house has had little work done to it, and for the most part it is still in the same condition as it was when the Bratton family members left the home in 1914.
The National Park Service formally recognized the Brattonsville Historic District, including the brick house, and officially entered it on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
The Culture & Heritage Museums has embarked on a long-term plan to restore the brick house back to its appearance circa 1880, and to open it to the public for the first time.
According to Shawn Beckwith, CHM’s Preservation Coordinator & Restoration Specialist, the roofers are expected to be about halfway complete this week; a large amount of masonry work is finished or in progress.
Historic Brattonsville is at 1444 Brattonsville Road.