Report: Intoxicated men caught carrying stolen TV across US 321 in Clover

jmcfadden@heraldonline.comFebruary 24, 2014 

— Police discovered that two men they arrested for allegedly being drunk in public were the same two suspects who a day earlier broke into a man’s house, ripped a flat-screen television off his wall and then stashed it behind an abandoned house so they could pick it up again later this weekend, authorities said.

Just after midnight on Saturday, police quelled a disturbance involving Anthony Scott Howe, 35, of York, and Joshua Paul Stewart, 34, of Clover. Twenty minutes later, an officer saw the same two men carrying a large TV across U.S. 321 towards Smith Street, according to a Clover police report. The officer asked where they got the TV since they did not have it earlier when police spoke with them. Howe told police that the TV, which was valued at $1,500, belonged to him and he was moving in with Stewart.

Police went to the home where Howe claimed he got the TV, but the residents there said the television was never in their house, the report states. Howe insisted that he bought the TV from Badcock Furniture. Police were unable to confirm his claims, but smelled alcohol from both Howe and Stewart. They were arrested and charged with public disorderly conduct. The TV was placed in Clover Police’s evidence room.

A day earlier, a man, 53, reported that someone broke into his Hampshire Lane home while he was at work and stole his Toshiba TV. The burglars broke into the house through a bathroom window, stepping onto the toilet lid and breaking it and leaving glass strewn on the floor. After police arrested Howe and Stewart, they realized the TV both suspects were carrying belonged to the homeowner. The TV, police said, still had a wall mount on the back of it. The victim told police he and Howe know each other. He also said Howe knows his work schedule and has been to his home in the past.

As police prepared to serve warrants on them, Howe admitted to officers that he and Stewart broke into the victim’s home at about 5:30 p.m. Friday, took the TV and then hid it behind an abandoned house nearby. When police spotted them early Saturda, they had returned to pick up the TV.

Howe and Stewart were both charged with criminal conspiracy, burglary and petty larceny. By Monday morning, they remained jailed at the York County Detention Center on $262.50 bonds each.

The Lake Wylie Pilot is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service